Wednesday 14 October 2009

What do you want to do?


A frequent wail heard in career strategy discussions: "But I don't know what I want to do".

Especially frequent in younger people...as in "But I don't know what I want to do at university", "But I don't know what job I'd be good at".

Hey - who cares? If you are good at something when you're 18, is that a good thing? Maybe you won't still be good at it when you are 40, and maybe whatever it was won't be relevant any more anyway.

Career choices are not permanent decisions, even though school career advisers may make it look, feel and sound like you need to know what you'll be retiring from before you've even left school.

It's OK to change your mind, spot a new opportunity, maybe to use emerging technology to change something. Or to adapt your working life to suit your dmoestic circumstances, to support your need for travel and new experiences or to just take it easy for a while.

Above all, it's OK to be flexible and aware of the constantly changing world and how you can evolve your role in it. And it's great just to be you and to be as much as you can possibly be.

No comments:

Post a Comment